MOMC TV Season 1 is on Eclectic Cuisine – the specialty of Chef Johari Edrus, the most senior member of Masters of Malaysian Cuisine. The premise of eclectic cuisine is that there are no constraints on what ingredients, cooking styles and cuisines you can deploy to produce a dish. Each of our chefs in this series is tasked with creating something eclectic – and Chef Bob Adnin came up with Sambal Daging Salai (Malay-style smoked meat sambal) with Belacan Tomato Salsa in Tacos.
Watch the episode here >>
Sambal Daging Salai with Belacan Tomato Salsa in Tacos
Sambal Daging Salai (Smoked Meat Sambal)
300 gm smoked meat, sliced
6 large chillies, roughly chopped
6 red bird’s eye chillies, roughly chopped
8 green bird’s eye chillies, roughly chopped
280 gm red onion, roughly chopped
4 pcs fresh daun salam (bay leaves)
2 TBSP brown sugar
Salt to taste
100 ml cooking oil
Belacan Tomato Salsa
120 gm cherry tomatoes, diced
70 gm onion, diced
1 lemon, halved
8 gm belacan Melaka (Shrimp paste), chopped
60 ml olive oil
50 gm edamame beans, blanched
50 gm corn kernels, blanched
10 gm coriander leaves, chopped
100 gm mixed spiced cheese, grated
- In a hot wok, add cooking oil and saute the roughly-chopped items – onion, chilli, bird’s eye chillies – until cooked through. Add fresh bay leaves.
- Add the daging salai (smoked meat) and season with salt and sugar. Transfer into a bowl.
- To make the salsa, combine the vegetables in a bowl and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, olive oil and belacan. Season with salt and mix well.
- To assemble, take one taco and fill with a spoonful of sambal daging and some tomato salsa. Top with the mixed spiced cheese and blowtorch the taco until the cheese melts.
- Repeat with the remaining tacos.
Want the rest of our recipes, videos and our monthly eMagazines for free? Sign up to our mailing list here >> MalaysianChefs.com/JoinToday
Don’t forget to Share our content so we can create more Malaysian recipes and videos for you 🙂